Friday, March 10, 2006

Turza vs. Tirzah

i have had the priviledge, like most people of possessing several nicknames throughout my ilustrious life so far.

Tirzina (the 'n' has a ~ on top): As far back as i can remember my mom has called me this, and now Christopher and Rebecca do too.

Tereasa: Many people actually say this first under the mistaken presumption that i pronounced my own name wrong too. Also i had a teacher from Ukraine (or some country near russia) who no matter how many times i said i was "TEER- ZUH", she still said, "Tereasa?"

Catherine: THis is kinda a long story involving my wearing a white dress to church one sunday that reminded a few friends of mine of Catherine Zeta-Jones.....

Turza: this is theorized to have been born one of two ways. Firstly Pastor Lefew has never said my name right once, and always said turza. But it wasn't adopted into the entire school until sophomore year at the retreat. I was playing football with several of the boys and Mr. Wright was our captain, or whatever. He kept calling me 'turza' and it made Luke giggle exceedingly. He then proceeded to establish that as my permanent nickname and due to his imense popularity, the name sunk in so much that i have people ask me sometimes if my name isnt really turza.
I don't mind being called it, but at the same time its quite refreshing to hear that i have a real name........ now turz, or tirfat on the other hand tends to push the limit of annoyance.........................:)

7 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, Blogger kiwi said...

i still like mom's nickname for you: Tirzinia mi nina preciosa! i understand what it's like when people can't pronounce your name...my spanish prof calls me taquila (it apparently sounds like Keyla) ..lol!

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Roberto said...

Heh heh....Turfat...that's a good one. I'll use that in Physics.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger julio said...

for as much as you "dont really care" about your name, ive heard you bring this subject up quite often in the recent past...

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Roberto said...

i know how you feel, it doesn't matter how many times i say it (LAR-A)people say "Laura". last night i met someone knew who said that my name was the hardest word he's ever said (and he speaks 3 languages) then he decided that it would be easier to call be "Jara". and i definitely like it best when people decide that i am wrong, my name really does have a u in it...

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger MEC said...

What about TIRZ? I still say Lara's name wrong half the time, and the first year that I was on the same v-ball team I think I said it wrong the whole time

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Roberto said...

No one ever says my name right. You have to roll the "r".

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Mae said...

well Tirzah... thanks for commenting on my blog! The play is really getting down to the wire and its scaring me a tad... hopefully it will all come together. You're doing a good job, though. yay for tseitl or however you spell it.
on a nickname note, my nickname as a child was goose. where that came from, I shall never know.
Mari

 

Post a Comment

<< Home