Thursday, March 04, 2004

What's in a Name?

When I hear a certain name an image pops in my mind. The name of a person brings up a face and an emotion concerning them, the name of an object usually brings up memories concerning it. So many names belong to certain objects and would not suit any other object.
For example: I cannot imagine a rose being called spinach, but on the other hand if I had grown up hearing a rose called 'spinach' i would never want to call it a rose.

Similarly we tend to grow to love or hate certain names of people depending on how a person by that name acts. I would never name a kid of mine 'Osama' but 'Rebecca' on the other hand, I find to be a beautiful name, just like the person to whom it belongs. We tend to think it's all about a name, but in reality it is the object itself that influences our view of a name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home